Sunday, November 06, 2016

Daylight Saving Time



I've lived in Asia for the first 26 years of my life. I've lived in a beautiful country called Indonesia, where there are only 2 seasons: dry and rain, for 6 months each. The sun always rise in the east at 6 am, and sunset always happen at 6 pm in daily basis. We never change our time back and forth, except when the battery runs out.

So............ imagine my surprise when I found out about the Daylight Savings Time concept!

Before I move to America and get married with my lovely husband, we had a long distance relationship. Me being in Indo and him being in US, that means time difference between the two of us. Long story short, we decided to call each other after my work at night, which means in morning for him before he go to his work.

One time, I call him after my work done, probably about 7 or 8 pm, don't remember the exact time. All I know is that it was night at my place, which will be early morning at his place. I thought it will be 5 am in US, but it was 4 am! I thought, hm, did I calculate it wrong?

It turns out that in US, there is such a thing called daylight savings time. When everyone has to change their clocks to one hour ahead or later. Odd concept isn't it? But it is true. It's the time when you might get an extra hour of sleep. Or be shorted an hour. Depends on the timing. My husband's grandma made it easy for me to remember:

Spring forward (March) = adjust your clock to be 1 hour later. 
*Aargh! Lose 1 hour sleep!*

Fall back (November) = adjust your clock to be 1 hour before. 
*Yay, gain 1 hour to sleep!*

I'm sure there is a history of why and how the daylight savings time was born. But for me, this is another reason why I no longer wear a watch anymore. Don't want to be bothered to adjust one more clock.

Have I still live in Indonesia, or if I never meet my husband from yahoo chess, I would probably don't know and don't realize that there are people on the other side of the planet adjusting their clocks every November and March, and that's not because they ran out of battery.

Interesting isn't it?

No comments: