Sunday, April 12, 2015

"Spend-to-Save" Philosophy



Ah, where do I begin?

I'm chuckle at this concept mainly because I was guilty of it.  "Spend-to-save", said the retail stores and marketing department behind it.  But now I will a bit more vigilant to safeguard little money that I have and not fall into this clever maneuver!

Few years ago, I shopped at Kohl's and justified my purchases because "I need new clothes". I denied calling it the impulse buying urge even though it was really an impulse buying, not a planned shopping.  I love shopping and can't resist the temptation to try out those new outfits.  After all, there's no harm for just "trying" that cute red blouse with chic black skirt that comes with it.  And when I look at the price tag, I thought,"Not bad.  Market price $20 but Kohl's price only $14.50!  What a bargain!".  Then my shopping journey continues to the hat and gloves section.  Winter is coming so I thought I would need to stock up my winter gears.  Hat $12, gloves $8, but if I bought one more pair combo, I would have them all by just $30.  ($12X2, $8X2 = $40, so technically I'm "saving" $10!).  And I continue to shop around till it's time to go home.

I went to the checkout line and was shocked to see the grand total.  It was $212.  I surely didn't plan to spend this much originally, but alas, I can't back out of course.  So I paid and then checked my receipt. "You saved $108 today!".  So I'm thinking,"Does that mean I suppose to pay $320 for all these clothings?  And why I don't feel I'm not saving anything at all?"

I mean granted, everyone like discount and sale.  But I won't forget what I felt that day.  Call it a buyer's remorse or something like that, but I don't really feel I save money by spending money.  I save X amount but I have to pay Y amount?  I spent $212 to save $108?  Where's the saving in that?

I'm not complaining because in the end I wear the clothes and loving it.  But next time I go shopping, I would be very careful with the "spend-to-save" philosophy.  I should remember that I won't save anything by spending.  If I want to save, then just tuck the money away somewhere and not using it.

I guess that's why having a budget is very important.  Stick it to the budget and save by save.  Not save by spend.




No comments: